31 de jan. de 2021

Virtual Project Arizona - Week 2 - My Experience

On the weekend of January 30th and 31st, I had the 2nd week of Virtual Project Arizona. We followed the same pattern of classes as last week's. My favorite session, like last week, was the one "Writing like a Pro" with Professor Mary Fallon. During this week, we submitted essays about our countries, and during the session on Sunday, we reviewed them. I was very impressed to learn about the history of Rwanda, the genocide that happened there, and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda - IRMCT that judged the perpetrators of the genocide. I wasn't aware of that, I actually felt sorry that we only study the history of Europe while in school - I started to ponder how much we don't get taught about what happened in Asia, Oceania, Africa. 

We talked a lot about the power of writing, if we stop and look all that is written is evidence. After hearing about Rwanda, we all had the chance to hear about the country of Georgia. Another country I didn't know a whole lot about. We went on to different topics and the professor mentioned the time when one of her student was a camel herder. We went on discussing different places and understanding what was the reality of people in different places, we even went on to mention the overuse of technology and the lack of face to face communication that goes on often in the younger generations around the globe. Even though my internet connection wasn't very helpful and would often stop working this Sunday, I was able to get most of this session.

In the Sunday afternoon session, we had the chance to hear from Founder & Executive Director of the Scala Foundation. She started the session sharing her personal story traveling to Cuba taking stuff to several people. Her story is very moving as she has several hardships in her experiences. Back in the year when she visited Cuba they weren't allowed to own a DVD player, for example. She explained a lot about her ideas, and projects. Second week was great as well. I had a great time regardless of my connection issues, happily the sessions are being recorded and I will be able to rewatch them eventually.

I hope you have a great week and I also hope you are enjoying to read my reports on each week!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário